We are very proud to offer comprehensive services specifically for women, treating conditions such as such as pregnancy, urinary incontinence, pelvic pain and osteoporosis.
Click on the following links for more information about how we can help you.
- Pelvic Pain
- Urinary Incontinence
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Pre/Post Natal Pilates
- Prenatal Massage
- Prenatal & Postnatal PT
Women’s Health Q&A:
What should I expect at the evaluation?
The evaluation will begin with a discussion of your medical history, followed by an examination of the affected areas. From the information gathered, the therapist will determine a plan of treatment going forward. Your plan of treatment will always be discussed with you at the evaluation. If possible, you should plan to dress in comfortable clothing that allows you to move easily.
What type of treatments are performed?
Treatment Techniques include:
- Manual therapy – Gentle, hands-on technique to reduce pain and muscular tension
- Pelvic floor exercise – Strengthening, relaxation, and coordination exercises for the pelvic floor used to improve symptoms of incontinence, frequency of urination, and/or pelvic and low back pain.
- Therapeutic exercise – Exercise focused on improving posture, strengthening of weak muscle groups, improving body mechanics, core strengthening, and stretching of tight muscles. These will likely include holistic forms of exercise such as pilates, GYROTONIC®, and yoga.
- Biofeedback – Real-time assessment of muscle strength, endurance, and tone.
- Modalities – Devices such as ultrasound and electrical stimulation used for pain relief or to increase blood flow to a specific area.
Will Pilates or Yoga be part of my therapy?
Pilates and yoga will likely be part of your treatment program. Depending on your condition, these exercises may be implemented earlier or later over the course of treatment. Pilates and yoga are effective forms of exercise for training the muscles of the core and pelvic floor, developing overall body awareness, and improving posture.
What type of training do the therapists have that will be treating me?
You will see one of our female physical therapists with specific training in treatment of pelvic floor and other women’s health conditions. She received her training through the Herman and Wallace Institute, which is a highly respected continuing education company that focuses on Women’s and Men’s Health rehabilitation. Our therapist has been trained to perform manual therapies and exercise techniques, depending on you specific needs.
Wellness programs are available for: